Uptown Collection: Formal Living With a Modern Touch
There are so many different aspects of our homes that make them our own. Our homes are a place to entertain and make memories with family and friends. Our homes are a refuge that we can look forward to returning to after a long day at work. Our homes provide a way for us to show off our own personal style and interests with beautiful furniture and conversation pieces. The design of your home needs to reflect all of these aspects with style, function, and quality.
Choose Your Style
Let’s face it, decorating your home can be an intimidating task to take on. Will it look good? Will you love the choices you made? How do you know what’s right? These concerns are valid but are easy to overcome when you keep a few tips in mind throughout the process. Start by asking yourself the following questions:
- What architecture and surroundings does the space have?
- Most people only think about their indoor surroundings when choosing home decor, but the outdoor surroundings are just as important. Just because you are able to close your front door to the outside doesn’t mean that it can just be ignored. You see it and feel it as you are walking inside. You can look out your window and see the different buildings around.
- If you live in a historic yet chic part of town with older buildings that have been renovated to include some modern features while still retaining the classic feel, then the Uptown collection would be a perfect fit so that your interior surroundings match with your exterior surroundings.
- Do you want to reinforce the architecture and align the interior design, or do you want to be more daring and place a piece that separates the architecture from the interior design? There are plenty of ways to do this, for instance, opting for a modern casual interior in traditional spanish architecture. You don’t necessarily need colonial design furniture in a colonial house, and choosing a contemporary urban interior may very well compliment the house’s architectural components more than you think!
- That being said, be sure to consider the different traits of how the indoor spaces were built. Consider ceiling height and moldings, and pay attention to whether or not the trim, such as for the window, has a more modern or traditional feel. All of these components can be beautifully accentuated or contrasted against depending on what lifestyle you choose to go with.
- What lifestyle do you want to have in the space?
- How are you planning to use the space? Is it primarily a space to spend time with your family? Is it a space you want to bring your friends frequently? Is a space you want to have parties in? Is it a space you want to relax in over the weekend?
- In a formal space, you may like modern streamlined and polished pieces that radiate high quality and craftsmanship. Symmetry and refined color themes play a lead role, followed by a sense of comfortable luxury. If this sounds like the right atmosphere for you, the Uptown Collection has just the right pieces to bring the formal yet modern setting all together. While a formal lifestyle fits perfectly in a dining room, it can also easily extend to the living room or bedroom.
- In a casual space, your furniture will feel cozy and natural--the type of furniture that calls you to come kick your feet up and nestle in with a book on a rainy afternoon. Casual doesn’t have to sacrifice elegance, but it bids a more relaxed overall feel for the rooms.
- In an urban space, you may want furniture that is young and vibrant, aimed to make a statement with bold colors and shapes. An urban feel puts your place as the go-to before a night on the town, giving off vibes of cool but collected.
- You may even want to use different lifestyles across different rooms, with a more formal feel in the dining room but a comforting casual feel in the living room. Consider the different purposes of each room and how each lifestyle can accentuate the sophistication of a dinner party while a more casual feel can promote the warmth and ease of a bedroom. If you do choose to change styles throughout your home, just make sure to keep the flow of your home in mind so it feels natural to change styles across different rooms.
- What’s the functionality of the space?
- When it comes to the living room furniture, will you need a lot of extra seating for guests or will a small sofa provide enough room? Do you want a nice comfy reading chair? Do you need a coffee table with storage for things like remotes, magazines, and blankets? Do you need a large console table, entertainment center, or armoire for a big-screen television or will a smaller piece suffice? Do you need extra storage pieces like bookcases or sideboards?
- When it comes to the dining room furniture, do you need a big table with a lot of chairs for hosting dinner parties? Would you like an expandable dining room table that you can customize based on the occasion? Do you need additional storage in the dining room to house chinaware, silverware, and serving pieces?
- When it comes to the bedroom furniture, what size bed do you want? Do you need nightstands for extra surface area and storage? How many drawers do you need in a dresser? Do you need multiple coordinating dressers to store all your clothes?
- These are all important lifestyle-related questions that you need to ask yourself before you start the process of designing your home. That way, you can make sure to include all the different pieces you need and none that you don’t.
If you are designing a modern apartment in the city or a modern or classical house in the suburb and are planning to host dinners quite frequently, you may like your interior design to be formal and modern. Many people used to feel that formal furniture has to be traditional with Victorian, French provincial flairs or colonial spanish. We see more and more customers looking for a modern version of formal designs. Modern luxury furniture combines the best aspects of both styles into an amazing hybrid option that is characterized by clean lines, symmetry, and beautiful simplicity. So if you are looking to create a space that is both sophisticated and up-to-date, then a modern formal style is what you’re looking for.
The Uptown collection is the epitome of all of these characteristics. Our most exclusive collection with timeless aesthetics, this collection is influenced by classical architecture and modern interior design, focusing on symmetry, sophistication, and skilled craftsmanship. Uptown collection contains most of our unique, made to order products as well as iconic pieces, which are our top-of-the-line luxury furniture. The products in this collection are highly-tailored, made using refined materials, and high-quality finishes championed by interior designers.
Start With Layout and Color Schemes
Now that you know your style, lifestyle, and surroundings, you can finally move forward with planning out your perfect space. However, you shouldn’t just immediately jump to buying furniture. In fact, you need to first look at your spaces and figure out what types of pieces might go well in different locations. Take into account the amount of space you have, any unique architectural features of your space that may need to be planned around, and the general flow that you want to have in your rooms when creating your layout. Also, keep in mind what color scheme you want to utilize throughout your different rooms for a cohesive space. For example, a formal modern style usually features neutral colors like blacks, grays, and creams for a sophisticated look.
Uptown color schemes are often in light greys, eggshell whites, but in some cases it may be interesting to go for darker and moody colors in some rooms. We often see some of these bolder colors in the dining rooms and libraries/home offices.
Select Anchor Products to Build Around
Once you have determined your desired layout and color scheme, it’s time for the fun part -- shopping! Thankfully, companies like Groms have made this easy for you by creating tailored collections and showrooms with beautiful pieces that go well together. This is a great compromise between furniture collections or room sets that are too matchy-matchy and random pieces of furniture from different places that are just thrown together. It’s always a good idea to start with some anchor pieces to build your room around and act as an initial style inspiration for the rest of the process.
Choose Supporting Pieces
Once you have your anchor pieces picked out, you can move on to coordinating supporting pieces to add more depth and function to your space.
- Accent chairs and loveseats: Look for a side-chair that contrasts slightly with your sofa, like a nice modern wingback leather chair. If you love lounging, look for a chaise chair or a recliner.
- Nightstands: Look for sleek yet functional nightstands or accent tables with plenty of storage and bold hardware.
- Dining chairs: Look for a dining chair with nice upholstery to add some texture to the room with luxurious materials like velvet, leather, or tweed. If you are looking for a modern look for a tall table, go with a nice bar stool.
Pick Your Lighting
Lighting can be one of the most underrated aspects of space. It’s easy to treat lighting as an afterthought during the decorating process, but it should really be planned out and prioritized in order to really create rooms that look and feel high-end.
- Chandeliers: Chandeliers are essential in a formal modern space. We personally love glass chandeliers with a modern twist to really enhance the elegance of the space while keeping it current.
- Pendant lights: Pendant lights provide additional task lighting to spaces like kitchens and bathrooms. Look for metal finishes like brass or silver to add some shine to the room.
- Wall sconces: Wall sconces are a great way to highlight things like artwork or even unique architectural features of your space. Chic matte black or funky gold pieces can help create dimension in the room.
- Side Table lamps and floor lamps: Finally, table and floor lamps are a great way to fill space on empty tabletops and empty corners while providing light at the same time. Look for statement pieces that have large bases paired with a contrasting simple shade.
Complete With Decor
Home decor and accent pieces are the last things you need to complete your new perfect space. This is an opportunity for you to really show off your personal style and have fun with unique pieces that are bound to catch your eye.
- Rugs: No living space is complete without a rug! An area rug can help anchor a room and tie all the different pieces together. You can never really go wrong with a nice shag rug in the living room or a cool graphic rug in the dining room.
- Decor: Decor is necessary to make your space feel like home through personal touches. Look for complementary wall decor, mirrors, pillows, throw blankets, and sculptures to complete your new formal yet modern space.
The Bottom Line
If you are drawn to sleek and formal design, Uptown is the collection for you. This exclusive collection has been professionally tailored with luxurious materials and craftsmanship of the highest quality. Both the style and the quality of these Uptown pieces are designed to last. Keep in mind the style, the story, and the context of the space you’re looking to decorate and you’ll find that the end result will be a product of your own and a piece of art that you will love living in.