Living Room Tables: Ultimate Guide to Choosing the Right One
Your living room table is the anchor for the entire living room and can offer great functionality in addition to looking good. Common living room tables are coffee tables, end tables, console tables, accent tables, cocktail tables, side tables, and nesting tables. There has been a question in recent years about whether or not the living room table is going out of style but we can definitely tell you that they are here to stay!
While the wrong living room table can really affect the look and flow of your space, the right one can make your space feel complete and offer a space to eat, drink, and decorate! However, there are so many living room table options out there that it can be a little bit overwhelming trying to find the best one for your space and style. The good news is that we are here to help you choose the right one with this ultimate guide!
- Circular/Oval: These shapes work well with a single sofa as the focal point of the room because it won’t overpower the sofa with hard lines. A round coffee table is sure to glam up any living room.
- Rectangular/Square: These shapes work well with sectionals because they have similar lines.
- Asymmetrical/Unique Shapes: Don’t be afraid to be a little bit funky when it comes to choosing your living room table.
There are so many living room table material options out there to consider. You need to find one that works well with your space and the rest of the room.
- Wood: Wood is a classic living room table material. Wood is a great option for a living room table because there are so many variations of wood that you are bound to find an option that you like. However, it might be a good idea to stay away from wood if you have wood floors or a lot of other wooden elements in your living room so as to not go overboard.
- Glass: Glass living room tables have become really popular in recent years. Glass is a great material because it is light and bright and won’t make your space look dark and full. A glass table is a great way to spice up a modern room and it’s really not that hard to clean! All you need is some simple glass cleaner and a cloth to keep it looking its best.
- Metal: Metal living room tables can act as a nice accent piece to a room without going overboard on color. Some metal options can give off a really industrial vibe while others are more minimalist – it’s totally up to you and your style. One thing to pay attention to when it comes to metal tables is the weight, some metals are really heavy and others are really light so keep this in mind as you are shopping.
- Leather: Ottomans as living room tables have become all the rage lately. These are also referred to as sofa tables. They are dual functional and that makes them really appealing. You don’t necessarily have to match a leather ottoman with the rest of your living room furniture, but just make sure that the colors go well together.
Also remember that there are many living room tables that utilize a combination of the materials above. You can find a glass table with a metallic base, for example. Or a wooden table with glass accents. It’s always a good idea to combine these different elements to add an interesting feature to your living room.
While living room tables are definitely a style piece, they originally were designed for functionality purposes and many people still use them as such. That being said, you really want to make sure that you have a living room table that works for you and that offers you the things that you need so that your space doesn’t just look good, but actually makes sense for your life. Some things that you need to consider when it comes to functionality of living room tables are:
- Storage: It seems that everyone is always looking for more storage in their homes. In a world where you can never have enough closets, look to your living room table to provide extra storage that can be conveniently accessed while you are lounging on the couch. There’s nothing worse than a cluttered living room, and if you have this issue then you might want to look into living room tables that offer storage via lift tops for things that need a home in your room such as blankets, magazines, electronics, etc.
- Folding: If you have a room that is smaller and are hesitant to buy a traditional living room table because you are worried about it taking too much space, then consider getting a folding living room table instead. That way, you can adjust it to your needs as they change!
- Stacking: Stacking living room tables, also known as nesting tables, is a trend that has become really popular lately. Nesting tables are a great option for people with varying needs since they have a few different sizes. For example, if you only need a place to put your glass of wine while watching your favorite show then you could probably use the smallest option. On the other hand, if you need a place to play board games during game night, you could use the bigger option.
- Kid friendly: If you have kids, you probably know all too well that you have to consider your children in every home decor choice you make – living room table choices are no different. If you have kids then you want to choose a table that is safe for them and doesn’t have any sharp edges that they could potentially injure themselves on. You also want a material that is really durable and easy to clean. A great option would be a round coffee table or round accent table in faux wood.
Size & Height
One of the biggest problems that people have with living room tables is that they are too big or too tall for the space and therefore leave it feeling cramped and crowded. Or worse – you have people running into the table because it’s just in the way! That is definitely something you want to avoid at all costs when choosing a living room table. You want to find a piece that fits your space whether you have a large space or a small space and we are going to tell you exactly how to do that!
When choosing a living room table, pay special attention to the height. While you might think that the height isn’t as important as the overall size, you want it to make sense for the room and still remain functional. You don’t want a table that is too low that it doesn’t really make sense functionally to use it. And you definitely don’t want a table that is too high and makes the room look really strange. The best piece of advice here is to look for a table that is the same height as your sofa cushions or one to two inches lower.
You also need to pay attention to the length, width, and overall size of your living room table. Keep in mind the overall size, function, and flow of your living room when thinking about it. Plus, it’s never a bad idea to take measurements of the proposed area for the living room table beforehand just so you can make sure that it will work well in your space. The key to remember here when it comes to living room table size is to choose a table that is approximately two-thirds the length of your living room sofa. That way, all the proportions will make sense and it won’t take over your room or impede the flow of things.
- Neutral colors: Traditionally, people like to buy living room tables that are neutral in color. We usually see espresso (dark brown) or white coffee tables, wood coffee tables with glass tops, or a combination of a few different materials for a neutral look. A neutral living room table is a good option if you already have other pops of color throughout your living room. At the same time, people always question whether or not they should match their living room table exactly with the other pieces in the room. For that we say not to worry about exact matches – that can be really hard to accomplish and might even be impossible depending on your current pieces. Instead, you want to find a piece that compliments all the other colors that are present in your room. Monochrome is really in-style these days, so it could even be considered trendy to get a neutral table that is just in a different hue of the main shade of your living room.
- Bold colors: Bold colored living room tables have become especially popular in recent years and are a good way to add a pop of color to a room without making a huge investment on something like a sofa, for instance. If you want to spice up your room but are a little bit hesitant about it, a colored living room table is a great place to start. This is because living room tables can offer enough influence within a room without completely overtaking it since your table should be smaller than other items in the room like the area rug, bookcases, or other accent furniture. If you are worried that a bold color will be too much for your space, a thing to remember about living room tables is that they are really versatile and can be accessorized to potentially minimize the effect of the color if that’s something you are concerned about. When you pair a bold living room table with neutral accessories, it really gives a sense of balance to the room that will make sense and not overwhelm it.