Downtown Collection: Urban Living With a Mid-Century Influence
Urban living comes with a lot of challenges and rewards. It can be challenging to have limited space in a big city. You may not be able to control many things about your space that you would generally like to choose such as the flooring, the walls, the appliances, or the layout. However, there are some things that you can control and make your own. Choosing beautiful luxury furniture and home decor for your space are some ways that you can embrace and customize the space that you do have and turn it into something wonderful.
Choose Your Style
When it comes to decorating your space, it’s hard to figure out where to start. After all, there are so many different things that you need to decide throughout the process that it can really become a bit overwhelming! At the same time, you don't want things to be too uniform like you're buying from a room set. Thankfully, it doesn’t have to be. When you follow these steps from beginning to end and make intentional choices, you can seamlessly create a space that screams modern luxury. So before you start shopping, you need to ask yourself the following questions:
- What architecture and surroundings does the space have?
- Most people only think about their indoor surroundings when choosing home decor, but the outdoor surroundings are just as important. Just because you are able to close your front door to the outside doesn’t mean that it can just be ignored. You see it and feel it as you are walking inside. You can look out your window and see the different buildings around.
- What lifestyle do you want to have in the space?
- How are you planning to use the space? Is it primarily a space to spend time with your family? Is it a space you want to bring your friends frequently? Is a space you want to have parties in? Is it a space you want to relax in over the weekend?
- In an urban space, furniture is young and vibrant, aimed to make a statement with bold colors and shapes. An urban feel puts your place as the go-to before a night on the town, giving off vibes of being cool but collected. Themes follow a much more modern tone, incorporating woods and metals with sleek lines and curves, an urban lifestyle lives and breathes the idea of contemporary. This is what the Downtown Collection is all about--urban living with midcentury influence.
- In a formal space, you may like modern streamlined and polished pieces that radiate high quality and craftsmanship. reminiscent of hosting classic dinner parties in an elegant yet contemporary space. Symmetry and refined color themes play a lead role, followed by a sense of comfortable luxury.
- In a casual space, your furniture will feel cozy and natural--the type of furniture that calls you to come kick your feet up and nestle in with a book on a rainy afternoon. Casual doesn’t have to sacrifice elegance, but it bids a more relaxed overall feel for the rooms.
- You may even want to use different lifestyles across different rooms, with a more formal feel in the dining room but a comforting casual feel in the living room. Consider the different purposes of each room and how each lifestyle can accentuate the sophistication of a dinner party while a more casual feel can promote the warmth and ease of a bedroom. If you do choose to change styles throughout your home, just make sure to keep the flow of your home in mind so it feels natural to change styles across different rooms.
- These are just a few lifestyle-related questions that you need to think about before you start actually shopping for furniture and planning out your spaces. That way, you can shop with intent and know what you’re looking for based on your unique needs and requirements.
- What architecture and surroundings do you have as context to the space?
- It’s easy to ignore the outside once you walk inside, but this mindset should definitely be avoided. This is especially the case when it comes to urban living because you can feel the urban vibe even while you’re inside thanks to the views out of your windows and the overall construction of your space. Think about it, you wouldn’t want to walk into a coastal-themed living room in the middle of New York City! It just doesn’t make sense.
- Also consider if you want to reinforce the urban architecture and align the interior design, or do you want to be more daring and place a piece that separates the architecture from the interior design? There are plenty of ways to do this, for instance, choosing a contemporary urban interior in an older, more classically-designed building with ornate moulding--a modern interior may very well compliment the house’s more formal architectural components better than you think!
- That being said, be sure to consider the different traits of how the indoor spaces were built. Consider ceiling height and moldings, and pay attention to whether or not the trim, such as for the window, has a more modern or traditional feel. All of these components can be beautifully accentuated or contrasted against depending on what lifestyle you choose to go with.
- If you live in an urban part of town with towering buildings, street vendors, and subway stations, then the Downtown Collection would be a great choice so that you can have a seamless flow between your exterior and your interior.
- What’s the functionality of the space?
- When it comes to the living room furniture, will you need a lot of extra seating for guests or will a small sofa provide enough room? Do you want a nice comfy reading chair? Do you need a coffee table with storage for things like remotes, magazines, and blankets? Do you need a large console table, entertainment center, or armoire for a big-screen television or will a smaller piece suffice? Do you need extra storage pieces like bookcases or sideboards?
- When it comes to the dining room furniture, do you need a big table with a lot of chairs for hosting dinner parties? Would you like an expandable dining room table that you can customize based on the occasion? Do you need additional storage in the dining room to house chinaware, silverware, and serving pieces?
- When it comes to the bedroom furniture, what size bed do you want? Do you need nightstands for extra surface area and storage? How many drawers do you need in a dresser? Do you need multiple coordinating dressers to store all your clothes?
- These are all important lifestyle-related questions that you need to ask yourself before you start the process of designing your home. That way, you can make sure to include all the different pieces you need and none that you don’t.
The Downtown Collection is made for urban living and makes it easy for you to create an amazing home even if you have limited space. Downtown is our most popular furniture collection with contrasting materials, strong geometric forms, and bold color pallets of greys and stones. This collection is influenced by urban architecture and mid-century modern interior design. Artistic and industrial accents are scattered throughout this collection to add character, craftsmanship, and charm to your interior.
Start With Layout and Color Schemes
The next step to creating your perfect space is to plan out your layout and decide on a color scheme. Now that you have an idea of what different types of pieces you might need to match your lifestyle, you can begin thinking about furniture size and placement. Urban spaces can be challenging to design because they are usually pretty compact, so one way to make it easier is to actually sit down and draw out the layout of your room and include the measurements along with features like doors, windows, built-ins -- basically anything that takes up space and needs to be planned around. Then you can get an idea of what size pieces you need to look for and that will make the entire process a lot easier and successful. You also need to decide on a color scheme for your entire space. The general color scheme should be the same throughout your home so that it flows well together but don’t be afraid to use different colored accents in different rooms to switch things up. If you have a small space, you should definitely warm it up and make it feel homey with warm colors like mustard, camel, and olive green. This is a great opportunity to have fun with color and really create a fun space with a mid-century modern flair.
Downtown color schemes are generally bold or follow a grey or stone tone, and radiate a modern feel that generally works throughout the house. Paired with the warmth of wood finishes and industrial upholstery, these color themes work especially well in living rooms and dining rooms.
Select Anchor Products to Build Around
When it comes to actually choosing furniture for your space, you need to start with the most important pieces to act as an anchor and to inspire the rest of your furniture choices.
- Sofa: A perfect sofa for an urban space is a sleek, low-back leather piece with curved legs to perfectly offset the straight lines.
- Bed: We love a bed with a spindled headboard, brass legs, and a solid oak base that just screams mid-century modern.
- Dining table: An industrial-inspired glass-top table with slender wood legs is the perfect table to make any urban space feel larger.
Choose Supporting Pieces
After you have found perfect anchor pieces that you love, it’s time to select supporting pieces that play off of your anchor pieces and compliment them without being too matchy-matchy.
- Loveseat and accent chairs: Have fun with your accent side-chairs and choose a mid-century modern piece with geometric wooden construction and neutral fabric upholstery.
- Side tables and nightstands: Give yourself some storage with a simple square nightstand with drawers.
- Dining chairs: Choose dining chairs with curved lines and fun colors to offset straight lines on the dining table.
Don’t Forget Lighting
- Chandeliers: Chandeliers don’t just have to be traditional crystal -- they can be mid-century modern too! To really fit this style, look for chandeliers that have multiple bulbs and cool geometric designs that will instantly draw your attention. Brass and bronze chandeliers never go wrong in this type of space, either.
- Pendant lights: Pendant lights are a great source of task light in areas like bathrooms and kitchens. Our Downtown Collection includes a variety of fun pendant lights that work in any urban space.
- Wall sconces: Wall sconces are a great way to add additional lighting to highlight different things without taking up any valuable floor space. Look for pieces with antique brass and frosted glass for an industrial-inspired style.
- Table lamps and floor lamps: Finally, accent table and floor lamps are necessary to provide additional lighting and fill up awkward empty tabletops and corners. We love adjustable floor lamps and metallic desk lamps.
Accent With Decor
- Rugs: Rugs are still essential in small spaces because they are able to tie the room together and also soften it up at the same time.
- Decor: This is where you can really have fun! Spice up your space and really make it feel mid-century modern with graphic wall decor, funky metal wall pieces, or even a retro bar cart!
The Bottom Line
If you are drawn to timeless high-end eclectic design and moody interiors, Downtown is the collection for you. Complete with warm and inviting colors, funky and retro design features, and paired with sleek lines that preserve function in a small space, we have truly created a one-of-a-kind collection that is ideal for urban living. They have made the process of designing your room so easy with their showrooms that all you need is a little bit of creativity, inspiration, and customization to complete a space that will look like it was professionally designed by an interior designer!