4 Drawer Dresser: How to Choose for Luxury
A dresser is more than just a place to store your clothes – it’s a statement piece for your bedroom. Other than your actual bed, your dresser will be the biggest and most important piece of furniture in your bedroom. So how can you find the right one? While you might think that finding a dresser will be simple, there are so many different things that you have to consider to make sure that you find a quality piece that not only fits your clothes and storage needs but fits your style as well.
Here are some things to consider when searching for a luxurious 4 drawer dresser to buy:
The most first thing that you need to consider when choosing a 4 drawer dresser is what size you will need. You want to find something that fits your room and fits your clothes at the same time. We definitely recommend measuring your room before going dresser shopping to make sure that you don’t buy something that is too big or too small. People usually place dressers adjacent to the bed, either directly in front of it or on one side. Once you have decided where you want your dresser to go you can start measuring. Make sure to check the verified product details for the measurements of any piece that you are considering buying.
- Width: You need to take the measurement of the width of the wall space that you have chosen for your dresser. Remember to account for any closet doors or bedroom doors that might have to swing out into that space.
- Depth: It’s easy to forget about depth when measuring for a dresser. Most people just take the width measurement and end there but depth is equally as important! This is because dresser drawers obviously come out farther than the actual piece, so you need to make sure that you have enough room to actually open the drawers. For this, measure the space between the wall and the closest piece of furniture and subtract 36” so that you have enough room to open the drawers.
- Height: This applies if you are going to be placing your dresser underneath a window or want to put something on top of it like a TV or a mirror. In that case, measure the space below the window or the entire wall from floor to ceiling in addition to the piece that you are adding so that your dresser fits.
The next thing that you need to consider when choosing an amazing 4 drawer dresser is the layout. Do you want it to be long or tall? What number of drawers do you need? The answer to these questions will depend on the things that we previously discussed. For example, you might want a tall dresser if you are in major need of a storage solution or you might want a long one if you are planning to put a large television on top of it. You should also consider the size and amount of clothes that you want to store in the dresser. Some drawers are tall and can fit a lot of stacked items, like t-shirts and sweaters, while others are shorter. If you have a lot of clothes, you want spacious drawers that offer a lot of storage space. You might want to have some doors that swing out instead of pull out as well. So keep in mind your ideal layout when searching for 4 drawer dressers.
Another really important thing to consider when buying a 4 drawer dresser is the material. The material of a piece of furniture is really indicative of its quality. Here are a few different materials that you can choose from when buying 4 drawer dressers:
- Solid wood: When you think about a luxurious dresser, you definitely think of solid wood. Solid wood is a very high-quality material that is very durable and long-lasting.
- Laminate wood: Laminate wood or particleboard are cheaper alternatives to solid wood that is also lighter. If you want a piece of furniture that is easy to move around, then a laminate piece might be a good option for you.
- Metal: Most people think that a four-drawer chest has to be wooden, but dressers made out of metal are actually becoming more popular. Metal is a great material if you are looking for a contemporary style and is also very durable and versatile.
The next thing that you need to consider when looking for a 4 drawer dresser is what style you are looking for. You want to buy a piece that fits in with the rest of your bedroom furniture like your bed and your nightstands.
There are many varieties of styles for 4 drawer dressers. Here are some examples of the styles that you might see when shopping:
- Traditional: Traditional dressers are often made of solid wood often with carved details into the wood to add a really traditional charm to the piece. These pieces often feature traditional wooden legs as well as actual knobs on the drawers.
- Contemporary: Contemporary dressers are often very simple and almost Scandinavian in style. They can be made from different materials like laminate wood rather than the traditional solid wood. These dressers feature straight lines and probably won’t have any actual knobs on the drawers but might have cutouts instead.
- Modern: Modern dressers are similar to the contemporary style but are just taken up a notch. These pieces are almost futuristic-looking and also probably don’t include any knobs on the drawers. They might be made out of metal or other sleek-looking materials for a really clean look.
- Cottage: Cottage-style armoires are probably the most similar to traditional dressers but are often lighter in color instead of featuring dark wood. These pieces are usually made out of solid wood and feature unique details and carvings in that wood to give character to the piece. These pieces might have interesting wooden legs or unique metal knobs on the drawers to complete the cottage look.
What good is buying a new drawer chest if it isn’t constructed well? You need to find a piece that is made well and is built to last. Buying from a reputable furniture company, for example, Groms, ensures that you get many years out of your furniture. When buying a new dresser, check the following things to make sure that it is of good construction and quality:
- Check that the drawers slide well and fit perfectly when closed.
- Check that the legs are sturdy and don’t wobble at all when the piece is moved.
- Check that the handles or knobs, if any, are screwed on completely and don’t fall off when you grab them.
- Check that all of the different pieces (back, sides, etc.) come together completely and don’t leave any gaps.
The next thing that you need to consider when buying a 4 drawer dresser is the color. The color of your dresser will depend a lot on the other pieces in the bedroom as well as the wall color and the floors. Some people will want a bedroom dresser that matches with the rest of their furniture while others might want something a bit different. In any case, make sure to have an idea of the color you are looking for before you go shopping. Here are some common colors that 4 drawer dressers come in:
- Dark wood/mahogany finish
- Medium wood/oak finish
- Light-colored wood
- White finish or off-white
While you might think that a chest of drawers is just a basic piece of furniture and nothing fancy, you might be mistaken. Here are a few unique features of dressers that you might want to consider:
- Mirrors: Some dressers actually come with a mirror. Every bedroom has to have a mirror, and what better place than to put it on top of your dresser so that you can examine your clothes the moment you put them on? This is a great feature because it ensures that the mirror will match your dresser perfectly – no need to worry about size or color, it’s all taken care of!
- Fancy knobs: Some dressers come with really unique knobs on the drawers, or the ability to add your own and personalize the piece! This is perfect for someone who is looking for a really eye-catching piece of furniture.
- Entertainment abilities: Some people are able to use their dresser as a combination of that and a TV stand! By placing a TV on top and potentially storing some items in the drawers or cabinets in the piece, you are able to have a multi-functional piece of furniture that really works for you.
- Additional pieces: You don't just have to buy a single dresser! In fact, many people have double dressers that fit all of their clothes comfortably. These dressers usually coordinate and help complete the room.
- Accessorizing: People really tend to overlook accessorizing a dresser and just leave the top of it completely bare. Instead, you can use the top of your dresser for lots of different things! You can add a lamp to add light to your room. You can add artwork either propped on top of the dresser against the wall or actually on the wall behind the dresser to fill the space. You can add flowers or plants on top of a dresser to bring some color and life into your bedroom. You could also use the top of the dresser to display functional things like perfumes, books, magazines, pens, and pencils – whatever you need easy access to. Overall, you can add anything on top of a dresser to really make it work for you and your space.